Road Warrior Moving Checklist
By Road Warrior Moving & Storage | February 7, 2019
One Month Prior to Move Day
- Book a moving company. If you are moving in the summer, you may wish to call movers 2-3 months in advance to ensure availability on your desired date.
- Notify the post office.
- Order moving supplies from Road Warrior Moving Box Delivery Service
- Sort and discard, or donate unwanted items. Many charitable organizations will pick up with sufficient notice.
- Confirm elevator, loading dock, and parking space reservations for move day at both origin and destination addresses.
- Begin packing; clearly labeling boxes with your name, contents, and room destination for the box.
Two Weeks Prior to Move Day
- Notify utility companies, as applicable:
- Gas/Oil (also schedule gas appliances to be disconnected)
- Cable and Internet Service Provider
- Home security/alarm
- Make arrangements for disassembly of difficult items (pool tables, swing sets, etc.).
- Make arrangements for parking permits, where applicable. Make arrangements for a babysitter/pet-sitter on move day, as necessary.
- Arrange for time off from work to prepare for the move and to be present on move day.
One Week Prior to Move Day
- Confirm move date and time with your moving company.
- Provide moving company with new telephone number, if applicable.
- Complete the high-value inventory form if applicable..
- Remove fragile and loose items from drawers and pack carefully in small moving boxes.
- Remove all permanently affixed items you wish to take from walls and ceilings (drapes, lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, etc.).
One Day Prior to Move Day
- Consolidate clearly-marked boxes of fragile items in one area of your home. Alert your moving crew about these boxes on move day.
- Identify furniture that is fragile by nature or has been weakened by previous damage and bring it to your crew's attention on move day.
- Separate and label items not intended for transport by your movers.
- Isolate checkbook, keys, passports, plane tickets, cash, credit cards and prescription medications.
- Defrost, drain, wash, and dry refrigerators and freezers.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn mowers, generators, snow blowers, etc.
- Disconnect propane tank from gas grill. Your movers will not be able to transport the tank on move day.
- Clear walkways and driveway during inclement weather.
Posted in Moving Tips